HABITS are either the best of servants,
Or the worst of masters.
Most of us have habits that we consider normal. However, normal is not always correct. In our ignorance, we land up causing harm to our own health. In this case, ignorance is not bliss. Some everyday habits that are actually harmful are:
- Regular Use Of Painkillers – Many people suffer from pain in the form of headache, stomachache, muscular pain, arthritis etc. When in pain, the most obvious thing to do is to take a painkiller for immediate relief. If such pain is a rare occurrence, there is no harm in using painkillers. However, if this is a regular occurrence, do not self-medicate. Painkillers are bad for you, mainly because of 2 reasons.
- Painkillers Have Sedatives – All painkillers have a sedative component. Some have low sedative content while the others high. Depending on your body, even a mild sedative can make you feel lethargic and out of sorts. Not only that, it also lowers your inhibitions and reaction time. A strong painkiller will obviously do all that.
- Painkillers Are Habit Forming – Regularly using painkillers will condition your body to feel good. This mainly because it will give you relief from pain. In order to feel good, you keep on taking painkillers. It is indeed a vicious circle that will make you a slave to these drugs. Habitually taking painkillers can result in gastrointestinal bleeding, ulcers, high blood pressure etc.
- Sunbathing – “Elastin” in the skin makes it smooth and firm. It allows the tissues in the body to retain their prior shape after stretching. Sunbathing tends to destroy these elastic fibers. As a result, wrinkles, freckles and discoloration or pigmentation occur. Prolonged exposure to sun also increases the risk of skin cancer. Therefore, stick to shaded areas and use a self-tanner if you must.
- Snacking Regularly – Sometimes the body just needs hydration and we mistake it for hunger. Intermittent snacking will disrupt your normal eating schedule and cause weight gain. In our hectic lifestyle snacking is usually on junk food. At the end of day it will increase bad cholesterol and disrupt digestion.
To learn more about “Everyday Habits That Damage Health” visit my blog Yahoo2info.com.