Most admit that summer catches us up to ten pounds overweight. Now what?
The truth is we should be taking care of our bodies year round, but most of us hide our nutritional sins under wide winter clothes. But as soon as the sun warms up a bit and we feel the first heat of summer, panic sets in.
How are you going to lose the extra weight? Start with mild exercise along with a balanced diet based on these ten tips:
1. Consume 6-8 glasses of water daily, but not during meals. Liquids (water, juice) hydrate your body and allows for the renewal of cellular water which leads to nutritional elements to be easily metabolized by your system.
2. Reduce your fat intake. Fatty meat, cream, processed meats and cheeses and dairy products all contain saturated fat, which contributes to the development of cellulite among other things.
3. Consume lots of fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables are rich in vitamins and minerals which are required for your body to function at its best. This includes the peptic system, which then boosts the metabolism.
4. Avoid sugar. Sugar consumed in food is quickly released into the blood as glucose and causes hyperglycemia, but then is gone just as quickly. This abrupt crash causes you to feel hungry sooner.
5. Consume legumes and whole grains. These foods are rich in amino acids, fiber, b complex vitamins, iron, magnesium, and calcium.
6. Reduce your intake of salt and preservatives. Salt is known for causing bloating and water retention. So try to avoid adding salt to your food beyond what it already contains. Foods with a lot of preservatives, like canned goods, chips and smoked foods should also be avoided. Ready-to-go food usually is high in preservatives.
7. Reduce coffee consumption, which dehydrates your body.
8. Reduce alcohol consumption, which also dehydrates your body.
9. Increase physical activity. Even frequent walking at a brisk pace and taking the stairs instead of the elevator can help burn calories and improve muscle tone.
10. Avoid smoking.